Incubator Update - Day 7


Waiting is the hardest part. Today is day 7 since we placed the eggs in the incubator.  I have been hand turning several times per day. You can't tell by looking at them but so much has changed in just one short week.  

Here's a little info on what has happened inside the shell this week:





First day

16 hours - first sign of resemblance to a chick embryo
18 hours - appearance of alimentary tract
20 hours - appearance of vertebral column
21 hours - beginning of nervous system
22 hours - beginning of head
24 hours - beginning of eye

Second day

25 hours - beginning of heart
35 hours - beginning of ear
42 hours - heart beats

Third day

60 hours - beginning of nose
62 hours - beginning of legs
64 hours - beginning of wings


Fourth day - beginning of tongue

Fifth day - formation of reproductive organs and differentiation of sex

Sixth day - beginning of beak & comb
((Source: here))


I candled the eggs last night, which essentially means, I shined a bright light through the shell to get a glimpse inside, and all nine eggs seem to be developing so far. I can't wait to meet them!  14 days to go!


Thanks for stopping by and please keep in touch!
Find Colored Egg Homestead on Facebook: here
Follow me on Pinterest : here
Subscribe to this blog via Feed Burner: here

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'll be keeping up with your progress. The waiting is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just lovely - we counting down the days with you - just too exciting! Hang in there before you know it they will be here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!! We hatched chicks in an incubator this past spring and it was soo much fun. I loved watching their development inside the egg and watching them hatch was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen! Isn't it just amazing how something can go from being a fertilized egg to a living, breathing, walking creature in just 21 days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I can't believe how amazing it was to watch them develop and hatch in such a short time span. I feel so connected with the little first batch I hatched. There was one little underdog who was the first to pip and the last to hatch that I rooted for the whole time and is just the sweetest little chick today. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog!

      Delete