Food for Thought

When I was a little girl I collected little cow figurines. Those tiny ceramic cows were the full extent of any ‘farming’ background I had. So its rather surprising now that I have found myself raising chickens and growing my own food in my backyard in the middle of the city. I’m not exactly sure what possessed me to bring home those two little baby chicks that spring a few years ago but I’m glad I did because those little feathered friends changed my life. We now have several laying hens who provide us with fresh eggs and comic relief every day in exchange for a small amount of layer feed, kitchen scraps, garden surplus, weeds, grass and bugs from our yard. When I started on this adventure I didn’t have any idea what I was doing and some days I feel like I still don’t, but I’m learning as I go and growing as I learn. I spend a lot of time working in the garden. I find it to be very therapeutic. Feeling the warmth of the sun and listening to the chickens clucking & singing while cultivating your own little piece of earth; there is nothing better. These days I jokingly refer to myself as a first generation self taught urban farmer.
There is something uniquely special about knowing where your food comes from, watching it grow full circle from seed to supper or collecting eggs for breakfast that are still warm from the nest. You can’t buy that kind of homegrown satisfaction in the grocery store.


Raising and growing your own food is more than a lifestyle – it is life. We as a nation have grown so disconnected from our food in this country in recent years. If its not fast or easy we don’t eat it. The average consumer thinks about food several times per day but actually knows next to nothing about how it is brought from farm to table. The general perception still seems to be that food is grown on family-run farms but in actuality the majority of our nations food supply is controlled by a handful of large corporations who often put profits ahead of consumer health. With the growing number of food recalls its even more important that we know where our food is coming from. Producing as much of your own food as possible and patronizing your local farmers markets and local farms eliminates some of this worry and puts money back into your own local economy.
There is a quote that resonates with me: “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” – Teddy Roosevelt. I may be temporarily stuck in the suburbs dreaming of my future farm but I wont let that keep me from farming my yard. Each year our garden gets bigger and I seem to find new nooks and crannies to grow edibles. You can too! Even if you don’t have a big backyard, or any yard for that matter, a sunny balcony or porch can supply you with more vegetables and herbs than you think. For foods that you are unable to produce yourself seek out local sources in your area and support your local economy. By supporting local farmers today, you are helping to ensure that there will be farms in your community tomorrow.


This article was published in the June 2013 edition of Carolina Salt Magazine



Thanks for stopping by and please keep in touch!
Find Colored Egg Homestead on Facebook: Click Here
Follow me on Pinterest : Click Here
Subscribe to this blog via Feed Burner: Click Here

3 comments:

  1. Great first post! Welcome to the world of blogging. Remember just like your yard... do this because you love it, not because you feel like you HAVE to write. Some days I have to remind myself of that....

    Mindie ~ The (mis)Adventures of a "Born Again" Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. If it starts to feel like work I'll be sure to back off a bit. Thank you for your compliment and support.
      -Khristi

      Delete
  2. I love your garden picture up top. Giving me ideas for my own garden.

    ReplyDelete